Meet the artist - Lisa Fulmer

This month we are featuring interviews with the artists who are in our upcoming art show - sight/unseen - at The Artist's Den in Concord, May 21-26, 2016.

What do you like most about living in Concord?
After living for many years in San Francisco, I landed in Concord about ten years ago because it was in the middle of where my former husband and I each worked at the time, so we could both have reasonable commutes. Now I am self-employed and have been working from home for the last few years. I had decided to stay here mostly because my brother really likes his work and friends here (he has a developmental disability and lives with me). Since putting down the roots, I have really enjoyed meeting and developing wonderful relationships with so many artists and crafters in and around Concord. I also love seeing Mt. Diablo every day! 
Sunrise by Lisa Fulmer - encaustic

What medium do you plan to use in your art for the sight/unseen show?
I am working with a combination of acrylic, markers and collage on canvas. I love mixed media because there are no rules. 
Are there any exciting mediums or techniques you've learned about recently?
Because I work as a designer in the craft industry, I often get wind of new tools and products before they hit the stores. I am looking forward to doing more with gel plate monoprinting, plus I have a hot-wire tool for carving craft foam that is just begging my attention. For this show, I am working more with a palette knife, which is fairly new for me.
Fussing with Reds by Lisa Fulmer - acrylic

How long have you been creating art?
Art and craft have always been part of my life. My mother painted landscapes, my aunt and uncle did beading and lapidary work, and my grandmother sewed and embroidered. I dabbled with all that as a child and teen, but it wasn't until about ten years ago that I dedicated much more time to creating art, designing craft projects and blogging about it all. I love cardmaking and general crafts, as well as fabric art and mixed media.
 What is the best advice you're ever received as an artist?
Every mistake is a design opportunity. There's nothing that can't be altered or covered up - some of my worst uglies have transformed into my favorite work!
What advice would you give a new artist?
With every tutorial I write or class I teach, I tell people to enjoy the journey and don't fret about the destination. In other words, the experience of creating has as much (sometimes more!) value as the end result of your work. Give yourself permission to play and explore!
 Visit Lisa's blog to see more of her work.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa you are an artsy-crafty wizard! Those pieces are really lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting - we'd love to hear from you!