Meet the artist - Lois Willhite

Flowers at Butchart Gardens by Lois Willhite

This month we are featuring interviews with the artists who are part of our upcoming art show -sight/unseen - at The Artist's Den in Concord, May 21-26, 2016.

This is Lois Willhite - what do you like most about living in Concord?
Concord has the natural beauty and the feeling of a rural community, with everything we need within a short drive from our home. Also there are the amazing views of Mt. Diablo to the east and San Pablo Bay to the west, with its fabulous sunsets.

Concord has grown in size over the years and that rural feeling is no longer there, but the surrounding open spaces still inspire my appreciation for the beauty of the seasons with their changing colors, and for new opportunities. Our neighborhood is very family-oriented and the children of our neighbors now have families of their own; they continue to return and still consider our community to be home.
What mediums do you plan to use for this show?
I am a creative mixed media artist - I like needlework, crafting, drawing and painting. The subject and medium for my entry in this event is a bit out of my comfort zone. I will be using mixed media in the hopes of creating a collage effect with watercolor, pastel and/or acrylics.
Outrunning the Storm by Lois Willhite

How long have you been making art?
My oldest brother was the artist in the family. He became my mentor through his love for music and his daily sketches. I have had an interest for creative art from an early age and always used whatever medium was available. Drawing in the sand at the age of 5 was the beginning of my desire to become an artist. I loved all art projects that were introduced during my early school years and when I reached high school age, I enrolled in an art class by mail with the Artist’s Institute. During the years after graduation I lost the interest for turning art into my professional dream. Instead I married, got a job, and raised my children. 
Needle work was a necessity while I was growing up. The reward and self satisfaction from the completion of the projects is why I like it. Crafting is enjoyable because I like to work with different textures and new ideas, drawing is for my peace of mind, and painting is for the challenge. After moving to California and our children were in school, my artist neighbor and I enrolled in art classes at DVC, which revived my interest for the arts. Over the past few years I have taken classes within the Mt Diablo Adult Education system to advance my art to a new level.
What advice do you have for the new artist?
The only tip I have for achieving “complete satisfaction” would be to pick the medium of your choice and go for it. Don’t be afraid to try new ideas, but be true to what fits best for you.

2 comments:

  1. Lois, I love that you went 'out of your comfort zone' for your exhibit piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love for you to show your artwork in my next theme show Lois. Raquel Amaral

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting - we'd love to hear from you!